Sunday, December 20, 2009

Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010


When I get older, the feeling of time flying past is more and more obvious. No kidding. I used to lament how slow the time past when I was in primary school. Now, just sitting there doing nothing, the time just flies by. Damn.

2009 has been a turbulent year for me. Looking back, it seemed like I've done a lot, but at the same time I felt the emptiness of not doing enough. Some personal matters also affected me greatly this year. I hope after this great shift in life I will learn not to take things for granted. Easy said than done, but fallen hard on the ground is really painful. Very very.

Some books that I've read this year touched me greatly. John Irving's Until I Find You, The World According to Garp are the two great read for 2009. 龙应台的大江大海, is another great read of the year. Highly recommended. Haruki Murakami's 1QH4, translated by 赖明珠 is another must read. But it is not finished yet. Supposedly Mr Murakami will finish the third book next summer.

Great movies are hard to come by, since I don't go to cinema that often. Some movies that left some impacts are The Watchmen, Julie and Julia, French movie Le Prophet, Japanese movie The Departures. Can't remember them all. Sorry, hopefully I will make more effort in taking notes in movies I've watched.

Music wise, I've come across some Brazilian music that interest me a lot. Maria Rita being one of them. The releases by Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau this year were great. Went to their concert in Singapore and MPO Hall too. Discovered some really great musicians that are not well known. Saxophonist Daniel Zamir, Maria Kannegaard, Yuri Honing, Wolfgang Haffner, Yaron Herman etc. Other musicians that I've been listening to put out some great music this year: Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Paulo Fresu, Tord Gustavsen, Tomasz Stanko, Enrico Rava, Stefano Bollani, Richard Galliano, Ralph Towner, John Zorn, Gilad Atzmon. There are just too much to listen to!

This year I've been involved in many projects that I am proud of. Looking forward to next year as a few recording projects that I'm working on this year will be released next year. As recording industry came dwindling down, to plunge into this field seems suicidal. Hopefully there are people who are serious about the music they listen to, and will buy these recordings that we spent much blood sweat and tears, with a lot of ideas and creativity to produce.

Walking pass the darkness, there is light in the end of the path. I am walking towards the light.

Gambate!!!!

No comments: